Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Great gone lazy?

I am a great teacher gone lazy.

Or perhaps I am just tired. :P

Either way, it's funny. I feel like I was working harder to constantly improve my own teaching when I was working in the public school. Somehow the innate ability and natural sense of engagement that these girls come in the door with here have somehow unconsciously given me permission to let go of my drive to consistently make my lessons better.

These girls deserve more from me than this.

Why is it that creativity seems to be the first thing lost? This is my seventh year, and I feel like my level of creativity has steadily waned over that time.

I suppose this blog is an attempt to gather some of that lost creativity back. And to inspire both myself and others to continually get better in their craft. I hope that over time, this blog will be both a place of reflection and growth for me. I want to get out of this "teaching plateau" and reach for teaching that doesn't just get the job done. But teaching that truly sparkles.

Because perhaps teaching that sparkles will translate into learning that sparkles, too!


To watch this video that inspired this post, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment